Sunday, January 20, 2008

forbidden lie$ DVD Review

This is a startling documentary.
Director Anna Broinowski takes us on what can only be describe as an unbelievable ride as we follow the now infamous , Norma Khouri ( Author of the book Forbidden Love ) on a quest to find the truth behind the book, its story and Norma.

As I sat through the first 30 min of this film, I was amazed at the lies and half truths shrouding this apparently "True Story" . As the film progress I found my eyebrows of surprise and amazement raising ever higher.

But the problem with eyebrows can only go so high, and after about the 60 min mark they had reached their pinnacle of performance. Unfortunately Forbidden Lies had not. The lies and the incorrect facts still had plenty of ammunition left.

Not wanting to spoil any of the gobsmackingness for anyone wanting to watch this film, I will not expose any of the key points. Suffice to say that this film had me wrapped from the word go, and didn't let go until the credits rolled. It is a very well put together film, and here is why.

At first I felt sorry for Norma, she was clearly the victim of a bit of over selling and publishing hype. But the film makers had been counting on my empathy, and when the lies of Norma are exposed (again and again) I had a small feeling of betrayal, (again and again) until the point where I simply could not believe the level of half truths and misleading information. I started to feel as if she had lied to me & my grandmother!

Fair to say that this film sucks you in. Makes you believe. Tears down the story and exposes the truth. You will be out of breath when the credits roll, and your forehead will hurt from the strain of keeping your eyebrows up for so long.

This is an excellent example of great Australian film making.
Rush out and rent it now
Forbidden Lie$ rates 5 arched eyebrows out of 5
You can also read this review at The Movie Show.

No comments: